Good practice guidance for working with under 18's in groups and 1:1's online We have some good practice guidelines for…Download now
Here is another Powerpoint walkthrough with narration to help you use the secure DBS system
There are just 4 easy steps
Log into you DBS portal, you can do this here . Please note, for an extra security measure, every 60 days regardless how many times you have logged during that period, you will be forced to change your password.
As an administrator, or as an ID verifier you then set up your applicant's link to their application form.
Administrators and ID verifiers have the same rights as each other except the Administrators receive the reminder emails alerts from the DBS portal.
- Fill in the applicants job role and the name of your organisation,
- See here about the update service
- First fill in their SURNAME then their FULL first name, no shortened versions of their name and no middle name just their first name and surname
- Create a user name for your applicant. However you do this is up to you, suggestion - initials of church and applicants initials followed by year. (e.g applicant Sue Harrison from Grace Church Loughborough would be GCLSH2021)
- You must click the box to create a password - the user name and password is for the applicant's information only
- Add your applicant's email address and re check the email address then press submit
- The applicant is notified immediately via email that they are requested to fill in their DBS application form. Ask the applicant to check their spam folder just incase the email link goes into junk
The applicant clicks on the link and logs in using the user name and password that was emailed to them when you set up their applications. They fill in their application form and then submit the form. You are then notified of the completion via email. NB should the applicant not receive their link, ask them to check their spam folder. Alternatively, log into your portal, click on the application number of your applicant, then click on Resend Login Information to Applicant and resend the link, after checking you have the correct email address
When you receive the completed application, you then the log into your portal to do the ID check.
You can either enter the applicants name and press SEARCH for their name or simply press SEARCH and a list of all your applicants will appear.
The ID check can be done over zoom. You must see your applicant in possession of their original documents.
Click on EDIT under ID validation column. Fill in the details of the ID and submit the form to the DBS. If you have trouble submitting your form e.g driving licence error, please see our FAQ's here
Most DBS's will use the Route 1 validation for ID's, click on the drop down arrow and the boxes will open up.
Route 1 validation will include documents from Group 1 and Group 2
You can then monitor the progress of your DBS for yourself on your portal - this can take from anytime between 18 hours to 5 days dependant on a number of factors. The different stages are as follows,
NEW APPLICATION - CUSTOMER SUBMITTED - BATCHED - OFFICE CHECKED - ACKNOWLEDGED - NO MATCH
You are looking for a NO MATCH return which means that the individuals details can't be matched to criminal record. The administrator will get an email to let them know that the process is complete. The DBS information can then be recorded on the single central record. See here for single central record template
If the DBS comes back as IN POST, this means that the certificate is not clear and is blemished and the Safeguarding Coordinator needs to see the information that is recorded on the certificate.
From there, a decision needs to be made as to whether the information on the DBS certificate, bars the applicant working in the post they have applied for in the church or charity.