The facility for a church to subscribe volunteers to the update service is available on our DBS portal. However, the cost is an additional £3.50 per check.
You still pay this even if your volunteer does not actually register with the Update Service. The volunteer has a choice to register or not .
If you request subscription through our portal, your volunteers will get email reminders to register up 28 days after the clearance of the DBS.
However, your staff and volunteers can sign up to the update service here for free within 28 days of receiving their certificate.
They can then log in here and
- add or remove a certificate
- give an organisation permission to check if anything’s changed on the certificate
- see who’s checked if anything’s changed on the certificate
- view their details
They will be able to take your DBS certificate from one job to the next, unless:
- an employer asks for new certificate
- They need a certificate for a different type of ‘workforce’ (for example, an ‘adult workforce’ certificate and need a ‘child workforce’ certificate)
- They need a different level certificate (for example, you have a standard DBS certificate and need an enhanced one)
An organisation can perform a status check here and you must:
- be legally entitled to carry out a check
- have the volunteer's permission
You do not need to pay or register to carry out a status check. You can see the results from the check straight away.